Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Social anxiety, verbal diarrhea and the poopy face.

Social anxiety.  A LOT of people suffer from it to various degrees.  I'm kind of sort of one of those people.  I don't have full-blown attacks or stutter or suddenly become gassy for no reason, but I do feel more than a little nervous.  When I feel nervous, I talk a lot.   A LOT, a lot.  Think "verbal diarrhea".

I suppose my anxiety could be attributed to my hearing loss.  I often miss things said in a group and become uncomfortable, so as a preemptive strike I may dominate the conversation in a roomful of people I don't know.  It's like Open Mic Night without the funny.

When a room is full of people you don't know, it can alternate between seeming big enough to get lost in or small enough to choke you to death.  I get twitchy when those strangers poke at my protective bubble with their mumbling small talk.

This is not to say that I'm completely unsociable.  I'm not.  I am happy to share my personal space with you and chew the fat, shoot the shit and guffaw and holler at your jokes...until you wear out your welcome and I grow anxious for you to leave. You can usually tell when that time comes.  I get "the poopy face".  It's a sort of vacant, half-smiling, "I'm not really listening to you because I'm severely constipated" expression and it looks a little like this:







I like my bubble, but there is room for more than just me in here.  So you may stay until I start making that face.





Do you get nervous in social situations?

8 comments:

  1. You KNOW I do!! Where do you think yours comes from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who is this?! Do I know you? *giggle*

      Delete
  2. I hate people who get in my personal space bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for me! I never ONCE got the poopy face!!

    And no, luckily, I don't suffer from social anxiety. Can you tell? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and that face up there? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enter your space
    You won't be constipated
    Jenna has spoken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your haiku
      They make me all warm inside
      Ravioli farts

      Delete
    2. Nice to know all that English education wasn't wasted!!!!

      Delete

Spammers, get bent.



All others, thank you so much for your comments! ♥ Riki









Some Other Stuff I Wrote