Monday, March 26, 2012

Crotchety Cat Lives on Borrowed Time

If you'll look to the right (sorry, I changed my layout, I mean LEFT) of your screen, you'll see my cat, Zoe.   We recently had a little scare with Zoe.  She had a hole in her neck.  A HOLE.  Not just a little boo-boo of a puncture wound, but an entire hole through which you could see the tendons in her neck.  It was very, very, veryveryvery gross.  

This horrific looking hole was spotted on a Friday afternoon, and the veterinarian we use was closed for the weekend.  She didn't appear to be in any pain and she was acting normally as far as her eating and drinking goes, but we feared that this was the end of Zoe.  She's 17 years old, so it's not like we weren't expecting this at some point.  We spent that weekend mentally preparing ourselves to have her euthanized on Monday.


Monday came, and we got her in to see the doctor.  He suggested that it was a bite wound.  A what?  Zoe doesn't fight with anyone and no one dares fight with HER.  She's Queen Bee in this house.  Even the dog sits very patiently until she's finished whatever she wants of his food before he goes in to eat.  I don't even think she really likes his food.  She just does it because she can.  And because Brinkley is SO her bitch. 

I'm digressing, I realize.  

The vet gave us an oral antibiotic to help boost her healing, to which I said inwardly, "This will never work, but we'll give it a shot."


I'm glad to say I was wrong.  It's working!  What was once a half inch hole in the cat's neck, is now a teeny little scab, no bigger than an eighth of an inch in diameter.  I honestly can't believe it.


She still has that mysterious lump on her belly and rancid fish breath but she's eating and drinking and pooping normally and we're all thankful to still have her around.  Especially Brinkley.





Zoe tweets @CrotchetyCat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spammers, get bent.



All others, thank you so much for your comments! ♥ Riki









Some Other Stuff I Wrote