Friday, June 18, 2010

Coming full circle...I wanna be a hippy.


It's funny, isn't it, that we're still such a young species?

Think of the simple act of feeding our babies. We went from using our bodies the way they were designed to be used, to the convenient (which really wasn't more convenient) way of feeding our offspring. We tried to get them to sleep through the night so we could have a little more rest because we've taken on too many things and forgotten that we were supposed to protect the species FIRST. We rushed their development and their milestones in an attempt to keep up with the Joneses and their superfreak kids. We signed them up for violin and gymnastics before they could hold a bow or turn a somersault or even utter the words, “Mom, you’re an idiot. Let me grow at my own pace”. We neglected to feed their brains and hold them because, well…there were strollers and carriers for that stuff and the baby was just too darned heavy. *whine*

Slings and cloth diapers and breastfeeding were for hippies. Now everyone wants to be one.

Honestly, I’m ashamed of how many disposable diapers I added to the city dump. I regret not learning that there was a better sling out there somewhere. The strappy, uncomfortable thing I had only got used a few times and I know if I had acquired something more like the Moby wrap, I would’ve used it a lot more. I don’t regret breastfeeding my babies for a long time, but I regret that it was something that I just fell into and not something that I educated myself about.

Hippies are the greenest of the “greens”..the crunchiest of granola. It’s become something to strive for: breast is best, first do no (more) harm to our planet, raise curious, caring, questioning children to follow in our footsteps and make our world a better, cleaner place.

Now, after discovering that many of our conveniences weren’t such bright ideas we're back to the natural way again. Well, we’re learning, anyway. It’s like we're on the verge of coming full circle as humans.

Do you suppose that one day we’ll all stop multitasking and rushing and poisoning ourselves for the sake of “convenience” and finally really “get it”?

Hippies rock.

2 comments:

  1. I WANNA BE A HIPPIE TOO!!!!

    But first we have to decide if it's spelled "hippy" or "hippie." 'Cause if it's "hippy" then I'm not so sure. That sounds like it's talking about two body parts of mine that I am not particularly fond of. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bobs have a song called I am a hippie again!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers, get bent.



All others, thank you so much for your comments! ♥ Riki









Some Other Stuff I Wrote